Freelancing has become very popular for many professions. This isn’t surprising because freelancing really can offer a lot. The reasons people go freelance are different but basically here are the Top 5 reasons to go freelance:
- You are your boss. For everybody who has had the pleasure to work with a nasty boss, this reason is of primary importance. When you are a freelancer, you are your own boss. Of course, this has its downsides as well but at least you are not dependent on some kind of idiot.
- You can make more money. All equal, as a freelancer you can make much more than you would doing the same job for somebody else. However, if you don’t have sales skills and you can’t find projects that pay well, you might end barely making ends meet.
- Better career prospects. When you are stuck in a job, you can spend years doing the same things. This kills your career! When you are a freelancer, you can choose diverse projects, so that you not only preserve your existing skills but you also acquire new ones.
- No more commuting. Commuting is a pure waste of time and money you can spend in much better ways. When you are a freelancer and you work from home, commuting becomes only a nightmare from the past.
- No better options. Unfortunately, sometimes people go freelance simply because they have no better options. For instance, if you are young and inexperienced, even if you are very talented, you might not be able to find a job that pays well. In this case freelance is the lesser evil for sure. You might also go freelance in-between jobs – i.e. if you can’t find a good job right away but are not willing to settle for a so-so one, you go freelance till you find something decent.
The reasons to become a freelancer are quite diverse. Sometimes it is your only option, while in other cases it beats all other options by heaps and bounds. In any case, it’s a great choice to work for yourself than for somebody who doesn’t deserve you.