You might have seen thick books about weight loss and weight loss plans that span on numerous pages but if you really want to lose weight there are just a few basic things you need to know. Yes, weight loss is as simple as this and here are some of these basic weight loss tips you can’t do without.
- Exercise, exercise, exercise. When you follow a weight loss plan, it usually tells you only what to eat. Needless to say, diet alone can’t help you to lose weight, especially on a permanent basis. If you really want to lose weight, you do need to exercise. This is a very basic principle of weight loss and no matter if you hate it or not, you simply can’t skip it.
- Don’t try to lose weight fast. Again, another popular weight loss myth is that it is good to lose weight fast. Fast weight loss might have a sales appeal but this isn’t the way to lose weight permanently. A pound or two a week is the limit, if you want to lose weight forever and if you don’t want to harm your health.
- Drink a lot of water. Water is another common weight loss myth. Many people believe that when they are trying to lose weight, they need to decrease not only their food intake but also water consumption. This is wrong! Water is great for weight loss because it has zero calories, keeps you full, and dissolves fat, so you do need to drink as much water as you can.
- Don’t eat late. Probably not many people know that it matters not only what you eat but also when you eat it. When you eat late and go to bed right away, the food you ate can’t be processed and most of it is stored as fat. In fact, even if you eat less but do it late at night, you can gain weight before you can say, “One, two, three!”
- Limit the sweets and fats. Well, this might sound a bit of a sacrifice but sweets and fats are two groups of food that can torpedo your weight loss diets. You shouldn’t cut sweets and fats completely because your body needs small quantities of them but you should limit their intake a lot.
- Avoid comfort eating. Comfort eating is another thing that can ruin your weight loss efforts. Food is neither a reward, nor a stress reliever and when you eat not because you are hungry but because you have nothing better to do, this can easily amass pounds.
- Forget about junk food. Junk food is another killer of success. It is empty in energy and rich in calories – exactly the thing you don’t need. Very often all it takes to lose weight is to kick junk food of your diet and replace it with fruits and veggies.
- Forget about alcohol and carbonated drinks. Similarly to junk food, junk drinks, such as alcohol and carbonated drinks are rich in calories and poor in useful substances, so the sooner you kick them out of your diet, the better.
- Don’t give up when you reach a temporary weight loss plateau. If you have more experience with weight loss, you probably know that at one point, called the weight loss plateau, you stop losing weight, not matter how much you exercise and how few calories you take. This point is unpleasant but it is part of the process, so don’t give up. Instead, keep exercising and counting your calories and after some time weight loss will resume.
- Don’t rely on weight loss pills to do the job for you. Weight loss pills might look like the easy way to your ideal figure but unless you are clinically obese, these pills are not for you. There are harmless weight loss pills but there are also pills that can seriously interfere with your metabolism, which means in the future you will have even more weight loss problems.
Weight loss isn’t rocket science. Its basic principles are simple but we somehow manage to complicate them. If you follow these 10 tips, there is no way you won’t be able to lose weight permanently.