When you are a Linux beginner, even the simplest tasks seem intimidating. This is why you need to start with a Linux distro that is small and easy to use. Of course, you can start with any Top 10 Linux distro but since most of them are for advanced users, you will have hard times. Here are Top 5 Linux Live CDs for beginners to start your journey in Linuxland with:
- Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a great distribution for almost any purpose and for a beginner it is also a top choice. Its desktop edition includes almost everything you will need and it isn’t cluttered with advanced stuff to scare you.
- Kubuntu. If you prefer the KDE desktop environment over Gnome (Ubuntu comes with it), you should give Kubuntu a try. The core is the same as in Ubuntu but the selection of applications is different.
- Mepis. This is another KDE distro suitable for a novice. Similarly to Ubuntu and Kubuntu, it is based on Debian.
- Puppy Linux. Puppy Linux is very different from the rest. It is a relatively small distro (i.e. smaller even than Ubuntu or Kubuntu) but it has enough applications and you can always install new ones.
- Slax. Slax is a Slackware-based distribution and one of the most noticeable things about it is the small size – 200MB or less. It doesn’t include as many applications as Ubuntu or Mepis, but it has all the basic stuff you can’t do without.
If you have never used Linux, even these beginner-friendly Linux distributions might seem too much of a challenge. Don’t give up – it takes time to learn Linux but once you get past the first steps, it gets very interesting and you will like it.