There are many server virtualization products on the market and while some of them are really unreliable and nobody in their right mind will use them, there are also a bunch of quality server virtualization products. Here are the Top 5 server virtualization products.
- VMware vSphere. VMware products are emblematic in any type of virtualization and server virtualization isn’t an exception. vSphere is the undisputed leader on the market. It is a league of its own and it is known for its reliability.
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server. Microsoft Hyper-V Server might not have the market share of VMware vSphere but it is also a good product to try. The latest versions of Windows come with it, so there might be no need to download it and install it separately.
- Citrix XenServer. Citrix XenServer is a virtualization solution with traditions. In the past, it used to be more popular, but now it is overshadowed by vSphere and to some extent by the Hyper-V Server. Still, do not delete it from the list – it has its place among the Top 5 server virtualization products.
- Oracle VM VirtualBox. Oracle is best known for its databases but they aren’t the only product Oracle has for sure. The main advantage of the VM VirtualBox server virtualization solution is that it is an open source product and you can see what exactly the code does.
- KVM. KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) isn’t the most frequently mentioned name in the world of server virtualization but this is kind of unfair because the product itself isn’t that bad. It is another open source virtualization product you might like. Supported natively by the Linux kernel, it offers all the functionality you can expect from a server virtualization solution.
These Top 5 server virtualization solutions are the best but still none of them is perfect for any situation. This is why you need to first evaluate your needs and only after that start the selection process of a virtualization solution to buy.